RandomlyRational

"In the middle of the journey of our life, I came to myself in a dark wood, where the direct way was lost. It is a hard thing to speak of - how wild, harsh, and impenetrable that wood was - so that thinking of it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death; but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there." (Dante)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Seeker

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Stolen Valor


I haven't posted for a long time, for a variety of reasons - though primary of those was I just felt as if I had run out of anything interesting to write on a blog. Everyone has an opinion, experience or certitude about something and/or every thing and - frankly - I was becoming fatigued by my own writing, and the cacophony of the net. Fortunately, I'm not an obsessive type - so I didn't spend any sleepless nights over any of this...I just continued to write for school and other genres and figured the urge to post would return, or not - either was perfectly o.k.!

So, I've had this idea in mind for awhile and decided to post it here. It's a difficult idea because it would seem to argue against the preservation of honor and order - but that isn't my point at all - I hope you'll bear with the following thought long enough to see my actual point.

Here it is - No one can 'steal' valor or honor from a true hero. The Congressional Medal of Honor is presented only where an individual "distinguishes himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of The United States...(and where)Incontestable proof of the performance of service is exacted and each recommendation for award of this decoration is considered on the standard of extraordinary merit" (http://www.medalofhonor.com/). Unfortunately, there are those out there that would have this honor, or some other lesser decoration, for themselves for reasons of personal aggrandizement - lacking, of course, the actual action that would legitimately result in being considered for such an honor. Liars, cheats and thieves - in other words.

The "Stolen Valor Act" of 2005 makes this type of posing illegal, which it should be, and broadens the scope of the original law to include penalties for claiming unmerited lesser military combat decorations - as well it should. I have no debate with the law, nor with the moral turpitude of those that would lie about receiving this type of honor. Imprison them all.

Here's my difficulty. I do not believe that the valor displayed on the battlefield by those few, or the honor of their decoration, is somehow diminished or besmirched by a liar. These decorations are awarded based on absolute fact - "incontestable proof of the performance," in fact.

Now, one cannot believe in absolute fact, and at the same time claim that the nature of the fact is somehow changed (diminished) by a person (or group of people) who falsely claim that truth for themselves. Do you see the inconsistency? The true Congressional Medal of Honor recipient is still a true hero, his/her actions are still those actions that merited the honor in the first place - no amount of lying or of making false claims can change that truth. Nothing has been 'stolen.'

However, in HR 3352,(http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/h/h3352.pdf) the language is precisely that, to wit - "fraudulent claims surrounding receipt of the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished-Service Cross,
the Air Force Cross, the Navy Cross, the Purple Heart, or any other medal or decoration awarded by Congress or the armed forces damage the reputation and meaning of these medals."

I suggest that the damage done is not to the reputation of the honor, nor to those who have merited that honor - the damage is to our social fabric, such that we discover one within our midst capable of such morally deficient deceit. We should be, appropriately, outraged, furious, and intent on swiftly applying justice - but do we really believe that the actions and honor of the legitimate few have been damaged? I don't - my regard for those legitimate heroes is not changed in the least in the face of felony lying.

I think we want to be able to say to these offenders - "look at the damage you've done, you idiot - stealing something from a true hero." It seems almost intuitive - if you didn't earn it, then you stole it - and to steal something means you have deprived the rightful owner of it. But this just doesn't seem to be the case with honor, bravery - and by extension, the Congressional Medal of Honor. While the posers have claimed something they don't warrant - it does not detract from the truth, the facts. To hold that position is to necessarily hold that the honor is relative to what other people do and say - and frankly, that's just unacceptable. Acts of heroism and subsequent acknowledgement of such are impervious to the actions of others.

Of course we should continue to unmask the liars and hold them accountable, I just wish we didn't afford them so much power - they are insignificant when it comes to the representation of honor innate to a legitimate hero - they have no bearing on true heroism - but by the very language of our law - we empower the liar.

A similar 'attack on the institution' argument continues regarding same-sex 'marriage.' Somehow I am to believe that my marriage, to my wife, is under attack - diminished, lacks meaning, now that certain states have amended their marriage laws to include same-sex couples. Most assurdedly, these new laws, new definitions, are completely meaningless to my marriage. I've asked all of my married friends - they don't feel threatend either! I think the argument is that a vocal component is opposed to gay marriage - seems understandable. But make that the argument, "I don't think it's right," not 'this diminishes the institution of marriage.' Frankly, it doesn't.

While it's not a perfect parallel - there are numerous flawed arguments out there based on the "Stolen Valor," symptom.

The only way one can adopt, use or be persuaded by one of these arguments is to admit that fact can be changed by lies - that ultimately the truth is relative. If you aren't prepared to say that, then valor cannot be stolen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters